Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Jan. 9, 16 & 23, 2017

WOW!!!!!!

I has been way too long!! Let me first say that I am so so so sorry for it taking this long. It really has been an extremely crazy few weeks. I am actually in a brand new area now! I am now in Kpone in the Ashaiman Zone. Kpone is next to Tema, which is where the Ghana MTC is at, so I'm close to where I started my mission. It is a funny story actually. When I got the transfer call we all thought I was actually going to the Kpong Zone. Then they said that I needed to go to the mission home, so we thought that that was a little weird. Also, I thought my companions name was something like Elder Seblu or something like that. It wasn't until I got to the mission home when Elder Shelton, the senior Office Elder, handed me a phone and said that he hoped that I was ready because I was re-opening an area. That is when I found out that I was not going to Kpong. I was like, "Wait,I am going to Kpong right?" Then they said "no, you are going to re-open a part of Kpone". Then I was like well, there goes all my thinking of going to the real bush. I also learned that my companions name was Elder Seeley, not Elder Seblu. He is from Nampa, Idaho and he has been out for four and a half months. So when we arrived in Kpone I saw 3 white guys standing at a spot and we pulled up. I got out with my stuff and the others that were in the car left. Then I asked if this was our apartment and they said yes. Then my mind was blown because that meant that I was in an apartment with all Americans!! I've always had an African companion, or an African missionary in the apartment, so this was a big surprise. The other two elders in the apartment are Elder Dougal from Idaho and Elder Mathews from Utah. It is pretty crazy and fun, so I am loving it right now. After I got here we all went in together and purchased a small spinner washing machine for the apartment. It has been amazing not having to wash my clothes by hand the last couple of weeks. I sometimes can't believe all the stuff I took for granted while I was living in the United States. On the way to buy the washing machine I ended up leaving my proselyting bag on the tro tro, and didn't realize it until we were coming back. Fortunately it just had my small scriptures and my annointing oil in it. So whoever finds it might look at the stuff and be inspired to find out what the Church is all about!    

My last 2 weeks in Suhum were great. We extended a baptism date to Ernest, who is married to a member, but we didn't have any baptisms for our side. The 2nd counselors daughter was baptized by the other elders, so we were all excited! She was supposed to be baptized 2 years ago but, she ended up having to leave for school, so it never happened. I am so glad that she was the first person I interviewed because she knew everything perfectly. She actually didn't have to be re-taught anything. She really is cool. None of us actually counted her as our baptism though. Then for me it was just a lot of visiting members and investigators to say goodbye. I really did not want to leave, it was tough to say goodbye. I hope that I get the chance to serve in Kof Town again because I love it so much! 

This last week in Kpone was really good. I am starting to learn the area a little, and I am no longer district leader. I don't know how long it will last though, because the district leader is pretty old in the district. We were supposed to have a baptism, but the interview never happened so we have to re-schedule it to next month. It is not a big deal though, because Jonathan really wants to get baptized, so we have no worries. 

It actually feels really weird being in the city again but I love it and am ready to go to work!! I know that the Gospel is true and that the work is real, I know that the Book of Mormon is true and that it contains the fullness of the everlasting Gospel and that a man can get nearer to God if he abides by its principles. I know that Joseph Smith restored this Gospel and was chosen before the foundation of the world to restore it. I know that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God chosen to lead and guide us. I know these things are true and I say them in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.  

I love all of you!!!!!

Love,
--
Elder Travis J. Roberts
Ghana Accra Mission




No comments:

Post a Comment